Monday, July 1, 2013

Crafty Secret's DT Challenge and Linky Party!

Today is Crafty Secret's monthly DT challenge and linky party! We also wanted to introduce our two new design team members, Kathy Clement and Elizabeth Lincoln!  Welcome ladies!
 This month's challenge is to use digital papers in an interesting way.  I decided to use this heart from the Crafty Secret's   digital set.  I will show you an easy way to merge the heart image right over the digital papers a little further down. 
I machine stitched the heart with black thread and used touches of black throughout my card to make the softer papers pop a bit more. 
I added a bit of seam binding and a Prima flower to dress it up a bit. Behind the heart is a piece of corrugated card board.  I painted it a bit. I love the texture it adds to the card. 
I use Photoshop Elements to size my digital papers and images.  It is easy to have multiple files open at the same time. I first selected this red paper. (Which I later changed my mind on) and then clicked on the "Organizer" button at the bottom to open up the patchwork heart. 
Since I wanted each heart to be the same size I decided on the size 209.62% Just hit your option tools and type in the size you want, it's much easier than trying to drag out the corners! Especially if you are trying to get the same size each and every time. 
You can see that I have multiple designer papers open.  :)
I printed my work on one sheet of cardstock with the heart on each piece of designer paper. 
I like this method because it takes the guess work out of sizing things and since the lines were already there, it made cutting the heart a breeze! 
Since I had cut where the zig zag lines had been, I decided to use my sewing machine to replace those stitches with real stitches!
I am the world's worst sewer, so a few of my stitches are a bit wonky.  But I am going to say that it contributes to the homemade, cozy feel of this heart! ;)  
And in case you forgot what the final product looked like, here it is one more time!
Be sure to visit the rest of the design team! Their projects are gorgeous!!!

As you know Google Reader is no more, so readers must find a way to stay connected to their favorite blogs.  If you would like updates on my blog and don't get them through Feedblitz (Which I still have available on my side bar), you can sign up through bloglovin'.  Just click the link here or on my sign up and hit the follow button.  :)
Have a great day my friends!!!


17 comments:

Sheila Rumney said...

Beautiful card and great tutorial!

Pambi7 said...

Really pretty card. Thank you for the great tutorial.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Very pretty card and great tutorial Michele!

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Great tutorial Michele and your stitched heart is super pretty! Also, thanks for the reminder about Google Reader. Most of our subscribers are through feedburner but I'm going to also look into the Bloglovin link you have.

Sandy

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Such a beautiful project, Michele! I've loved your work for years! The patchwork heart ads so much wonderful texture! Excited to be on the DT with you!

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous, Michelle. I love the corrugated cardboard. You made that look elegant.

Darlene said...

Hello my sweet friend! This creation is SO YOU! And what an awesome tutorial! I thought maybe that is how you got all the different patterns on the heart and was so glad to see the steps you took. Fabulous! LOVE all the stitching ... certainly does give it that warm, country feel! BEAUTIFUL work as always! Have a fabulous day!

Skye said...

A gorgeous card. Just love the papers and the stitching Thank you for the tutorial.

Joyce said...

Super fun card. Nice to see the modern digital melding with the homespun stitching.

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Michele.

Hugs Riet.xx

Michelle said...

Lovely! I adore that black stitching with the soft colors.

Ann said...

Wonderful shabby card and love the quilting and stitching.

susjc said...

What a lovely heart card! You have good ideas!

Melissa Bove said...

Wow, Michele! This is the most gorgeous card EVER!! Love this!! Amazing!!

hugs...
Melissa

loulou said...

Gorgeous card. I love the black with the soft colours. You can't be the worst sewer - at least you know how to use a machine.

Unknown said...

Very pretty card! I have a couple questions--how did you get the scalloped edge around the patchwork heart? also, did you glue the heat fragments to cardstock or something before sewing? and your stitching looks fine to me...Sorry for the stupid questions, I am new to cardmaking! thanks

Unknown said...

Oooops, I meant to say "...did you glue the HEART fragments...." sorry