Monday, January 6, 2014

Design Team Challenge and Linky Party!

Brrrrrr! It is extremely cold here with temperatures reaching -19 degrees without windchill!  School is closed today, but I have to attempt to take Cort to the dentist.  She cracked another tooth. *sigh* 

Anyway, you are here for the Crafty Secret's design team challenge and linky party! (Not to hear me complain!) ;)
Sandy was offering a free January calendar printable, so I grabbed it from the CS blog and decided I would make a page for my desk calendar. I have some step by step photos on how I created it a little further down. 
I used Prisma colored pencils to color the image.  I added glossy accents to the flowers and glitter to the leaves.
I love working with Prismas because there isn't an exact science about them.  I kind of plop a bit of color in at least two shades around the edges. Then I use a blending nub and some mineral spirits to "drag" the color inward. 
The picture is kind of lousy because it was dark out when I took it.  But hopefully you get the idea of the "dragging."
Then I worked on the leaves and colored them in shades of blue and a hint of green.
I decided to create a sunset by using pink, orange, and a bit of yellow.  I love the pop of color it gives to the image.
Here are the colors I used.......
I've had a lot of requests for how I tie my bows....here it is before I put a flower or gem in the middle.  I am thinking of putting together a You Tube video on how I do it.  It is quite simple and it would be a rather short video! ;)
This is what I used to add glitter to all of the leaves.....the Sakura glue pen is great because you can place the glue precisely where you want it to go!
Here it is in all of its glittery, glossy accented glory! LOL!
Be sure to visit the rest of the design team for their beautiful projects and tutorials!

Julie Campbell is joining us this month too! YAY!


Stay warm and safe my friends!

9 comments:

Darlene said...

BEAUTIFUL coloring my friend and what a great idea! Thanks for sharing all the details and I look forward to that ribbon tying video!
Try to stay warm and safe ... it's really cold here too! Uuugh ... come on Springtime! LOL!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

What a gorgeous creation, Michele! I love your coloring technique...you make it sound easy...but I know better! The addition of the glossy accents and glitter make it so special. Stay warm if you can! Great weather to be inside and crafting!

Elizabeth said...

Great minds think alike! I also liked this calendar page. I like your tutorial on bow tying, I'm afraid my standard tie is getting a bit stale and needs some revamping.
Happy New Year!

Hearts Turned said...

So beautiful, Michele! Your coloring and style are always just perfect. Wishing you a wonderful and happy New Year--stay warm!

Julie

Riet said...

So beautiful Michele.

Hugs Riet.xx

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Pretty - oh so pretty! Great job Michele and thanks for posting all the step by step photos! Also, my web master just emailed me a link to one I sent her that she added to the website so the size should stay good. I added the link to the January Calendar Blog page post and here also:
http://craftyvintagegirl.com/downloads/2014_CraftySecrets_Jan_Art_Calendar.jpg

Sandy

Vicki Chrisman said...

VERY pretty Michele! Wow!

Sheila Rumney said...

Love your gorgeous artwork! All the glitter and enjoy seeing your coloring technique. Wishing you a warm week!

Robin said...

Love all your little details. Very gorgeous, a masterpiece.