Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Graduation Day!

Good morning! I have some graduation pictures to share with you today. My youngest just graduated 8th grade and is now an official high school freshman! Eeek! Must be why he sleeps in until noon everyday.......and has attitude! ; ) My kid is a mixed bag of tricks.......one minute he is aloof and acts like he doesn't care, the next minute he is helping me in the kitchen telling me that we make a great team. Teens! He also wouldn't "allow" me to buy him a card....nope.....had to be a homemade card. So here is him.......on paper! ; )

I used my Cricut Expression and the Everyday Paper Dolls cartridge. It was cut at 4". I used all the layer keys and actually added a shirt and tie using the doctor cuts. I popped some elements up with foam squares for dimension. Oh! And did you notice? Not one OUNCE of GLITTER! ; )
And here is my real graduate.........looking so handsome. (I'm a bit partial! : )



He was really a good sport letting "Mamarazzi" take a zillion photos of him! ; )
Now this is his true personality..........goofy.......silly..........love this side of him!
Whew! Diploma in hand! I made it!!
I am truly proud of this young man.......he has struggled with learning difficulties and ADHD. He has had struggles socially and has had few friends. As a mom, this hurts my heart. I've never had the luxury of a house full of kids. Academically, his frustration level has been through the roof.....as well as mine. Through it all he managed to get all A's and B's and took two honors classes. He is headed to a college prep school in the fall and I hope this opens up doors to him.....socially and academically. He is excited to try out for the golf team. His back up plan is to join the Bass Fishing club. (Yes, apparently there is a club for this! Who knew? ) He has talked about joining the Youth Ministry club. I would love this because they do a lot of charity work and the kids who join are probably pretty nice kids. So lots of doors will be open to him.....now he just has to choose to walk through them.

23 comments:

Buffy said...

Thanks so much for sharing! He is such a handsome boy! Reading this made me smile. My son also has ADHD and is almost 8. Reading your story about his struggles helps me see that other people go through the same thing. Thanks so much for sharing.

Regina said...

Love the pictures. He is a very handsome kid and has a great attitude. Love the card. I can tell you are very proud of him. Thanks for sharing.

Sonya said...

Love your card--the twine is amazing! And such good photos of your son. :)

Cely said...

aw, he is so cuuute! okay, i guess he won't like being called cute. i told my 4 year old godson that he was cute and he told me, "no, i'm handsome!" LOL. congratulations to you and your son and awesome card!

Dayna Sabrina said...

Fabulous card Michelle! Congratulations to your son and I hope this new school is just the right fit for him.

janine said...

Your son is absolutely adorable! Reading your post also made me smile as I went through some of the same things in my youth that your son is experiencing. School was real difficult for me and I couldn't have been more of a social misfit if I tried. It is a tough road for a kid to walk when faced with these challenges but I promise you he will come out on top from these difficult experiences that he's going through now. He will be years ahead of his peers in many ways--ways that are far more important in life to make it out here in what we adults call, 'the real world'.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Oh what a handsome young man he is... It's so hard when our kids struggle.. our hearts just hurt and we want to help... I pray things will be better for him... you did a great job on the card (as always) ... you are such an inspiration Michele....

1CardCreator said...

Congratulations to you and your son. A lot of hard work went into getting here on your part and on his. I would be proud of him too!

Anne-Marie said...

Loved your post....not been able to comment for ages! Bloody blogger...grrrr.
Nobody said havin' kids would be easy (not to me, anyway, lol), but....oh boy....are they worth every twisted heartstring, every sleepless night, every new worry wrinkle on our faces.....and your son is a credit to you!
Love the card, too :).

CreativeMish said...

What a fun, yet difficult age. My son had ADHD and had a few rough years.. Luckily he grew through it and now is a fairly normal adult with a family... Great card, too

Lorraine said...

What a handsome (and goofy cute) son you have! Thank you for sharing your story. We've been told my son has ADHD and he does have social issues, so it's comforting to read about others going through the same thing and being successful. Wishing him all the love & happiness a lifetime can hold!!!

Jocelyn said...

Love the pictures!!!! He is just adorable!!!! You must be so proud of him!!!! What an inspiring story!!!

The card is just way cute!!!!

Wishing you a wonderful day!!!

Sharon-The OKI StampQueen said...

Great pics! Congrats on the graduation! My (half)brother (21 yrs. younger than me--older mom!)has ADHD--I know the challenges you've faced! I also had one in the youth group I was an advisor for--I've seen amazing changes in both these young men! Time, patience, the right people...Prayers for continued successes! Blessings, Sharon

Kristina said...

Love the card. I love the Paper Doll Dress Up cartridges. So glad 8th grade ended on a high note. :)

tblue said...

Congrats to the graduate! I identify with your post regarding your son and his social challenges.
I am the mother of a son with autism...he just graduated high school (a developemental disabilities school). He prefers to keep to himself. I so wish he would make friends. Just yesterday a young man in the neighborhood come up to us and shook Kevin's hand...and you could tell he was curious. I'm hopeful! Congrats again!

Emily said...

Aww...super cute!

Leslie Miller said...

Yes, those mercurial teens! He's a handsome young fella, and a character to boot. Looking at him it's hard to imagine he's had any difficulties. It sounds like he's done very well through his struggles, and he's headed in the right direction. He will overcome all these obstacles one day soon. It's tough being a kid. Your card is just darling. Very cheerful and it reflects your pride.

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Congratulations, Michele! The card is so cute! It sounds like your son is doing GREAT considering how difficult it is to cope with ADHD. As a former middle school teacher, I didn't always see such success in similar cases. You must be so proud, and even though you've both been through some frustrating times, the reward is in seeing him do so well and knowing that you helped get him there. What a good mama you are! :)

Melissa said...

What an achievement to get such good grades. I am so happy to hear that you son will enjoy so many opportities at his next school. Darling card- :)

Linda Beeson said...

Now that card is seriously adorable! And congrats on the graduation - I have one granddaughter who had her promotion from that grade this week too.

Gina said...

Congratulations to your son on his graduation (handsome guy!) and to YOU for helping him through it with all the issues he dealt with. I wish him well on his new adventure!!! (adorable card, by the way) :) So glad Cath posted your link on MFW.

Anonymous said...

We were just talking about bullying issues recently and all my adult friends have memories of it. My feeling is that as long as you are there for him and he knows that doing to others in the nicest possible way makes him a better person....well, he will come out fine and actually on top. Easier said than done but a goal to work for. great card, great kid!

Noel said...

Love the card. I love the Paper Doll Dress Up cartridges. So glad 8th grade ended on a high note. :)