Friday, October 14, 2011

Altered Wooden Spoon Tutorial!

Hi there! Happy Friday to you all! I have a tutorial on how I created my altered wooden spoon photo album! If you missed my first altered wooden spoon, click HERE to see it! Since it is October I thought I'd create a Halloween photo album to share some of my favorite photos!

Here is my Halloween Spoon...... : )




Step 1: I purchased several spoons at Wal-Mart. I took spray paint I had on hand and sprayed it a cream color. After the paint is dry, lightly sand the edges to distress it.

Step 2: I took my designer paper (My Mind's Eye) and Modge Podged it to the handle of the spoon. Again, when it is dry, lightly sand the edges to distress it.

Step 3: Cover the designer paper with glossy accents and sprinkle with glitter.

Step 4: Depending on the size of your spoon, the Spellbinder's ovals can vary. Just find the size that fits inside the spoon! I used the Petite scalloped oval as well. : )

Step 5: I printed my pictures at a 2 x 3 size, but again, this may vary depending on the size of your spoon.

Step 6: I took my oval die and placed it over my image. I took artist's tape, which is a low tack tape, and taped the die down, so it doesn't shift while I am die cutting.

Step 7: Here are all of my pictures die cut! : )

Step 8: Using my scalloped oval die, I die cut 9 pieces.

Step 9: Adhere the photos to the scalloped ovals.

Step 10: I took black seam binding and glued my pictures to the seam binding side by side. Be sure to leave "tails" at both ends of your album.

Step 11: My cover which is an image from the Crafty Secret's Halloween Journal Booklet, was glued to the backside of my first image.

Step 12: Since the spoon has some depth, I added dimensional foam circles, and added a bit of glue to make sure it was more secure.

Step 13: Since this spoon was particularly deep, I added circles......

Step 14: Add a bit more glue, so the album doesn't go anywhere!

Step 15: Place your last image on those dimensional foam circles.

Step 16: To keep my album closed and secure I use some velcro cut into small pieces.

Step 17: To fold your album, use an accordian fold. (Back and forth, back and forth). Between folds use a small piece of velcro on the top layer and bottom layer.



Step 18: Tie the seam binding into a bow to secure the album's closure. Then embellish the spoon and pretty it up! I used my Cricut Expression and the Happy Haunting's cartridge to cut the bat. I added black glitter to his wings. The sentiment is by Crafty Secrets and is part of the Costume Cuties' set.

I hope my directions were clear! If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment here and I will answer any questions you might have!


Have a wonderful weekend my friends!

16 comments:

vdoyle8 said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this altered spoon -- so cute! Your blog is wonderful - I just became a follower. Thanks for the great tutorial! Your instructions are very easy to follow - it must be a ton of work to do these tutes - I so appreciate it!

Anja said...

Wow - great idea !

Anja

Margie Higuchi said...

Hi, Michele!! Of course, I understand your tut...that's why you're a great teacher!! What a fun take off your other spoon project :) Have a great Friday, sweet friend! xo

Sharon-The OKI StampQueen said...

This is AWESOME! I love it and can't wait to try it! What a cute conversation piece for the kitchen! Thanks for sharing! Blessings, Sharon

Debby said...

So adorable. What a great and cute idea.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What an amazing project... you are so creative Michele... I love this... thanks for sharing your awesome talent...hugs from ukiah

Cricut Couple said...

How in the WORLD do you come up with such creative projects! This is just amazing! I love how all of the pics are black and white and all of the color is in everything else that you did. Perfection!!!

Kim said...

Thanks for the tutorial - it helps so much to see it step by step! Once again this spoon is so cute!

Hrvatica said...

Amazing idea and great tutorial.

Simply Sassy Scrapper said...

So loving this! Great idea!!!

Diane Hodrick said...

Thanks for the tutorial, Michele! I love both of your spoons!

Karen Letchworth said...

I don't know if you remember me (I'm the one who emailed you a couple weeks ago about the wooden spoons). I've been waiting for this tutorial,and appreciate it SO much. I hope you don't mind that I'm going to lift this idea and make several of them. I won't post them on my blog (I wouldn't do that). I know "lifting" ideas is a somewhat touchy subject, but I figured that since you made the tutorial, you wanted people to be able to create them. I can't express enough how grateful I am for the detailed instructions. Maybe I will email you a picture of my finished spoons. Thanks so much - you are a blessing to me (more than you can know) cuz I always need Christmas ideas. Bless your little heart!
Karen
karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

Vicki Chrisman said...

Geeeaaaa.. these are just seriously SO adorable!

Scrappy Sugar Girl said...

This is just so cool. This makes me want to get up and make something. I also love the pumpkin girl pic. Can I ask where it came from?

Karen Letchworth said...

Michelle: Sorry to be a bother, bit I started making my spoons today. To be clear, you bought the Spellbinders scalloped oval die cut as well as the plain (unscalloped) oval die cut for this project, correct? I also wonder if they will have the same "punch" at my craft boutique being that none of the photos will be on the project (for the person to add later). I LOVE this project, and I SO want it to work and be appealing. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Also, what do you think is a fair price for these? Mine are directly lifted from yours (same prodcuts, etc) so you know what I have into it. I greatly appreciate your input. I think you have my email address if this gets too long. THanks so much, Michelle. I need LOTS of Christmas ideas for my boutique Dec 2-3 if you have any other ideas. You've been a tremendous blessing to me so far, and I appreciate your help more than you can possibly know.
Blessings,
Karen
karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

Trina said...

This is a delightful project!