Saturday, September 13, 2014

Krylon, Christmas Ornaments, and a Full Tutorial!

I was asked awhile back to create a Christmas themed project for Krylon paints.  I love making ornaments and decided to get a start on gifts for Cortney's teachers. 
I stayed away from the traditional colors of Christmas.
I went with a more vintage inspired color palette. Pinks, blues, creams, and silver. 



Here is what I did to create my ornaments. :) You will need a glass ornament, Krylon paint, and a big wad of paper towels. 
I sprayed the inside of the ornament generously.....
Shake it up a bit to distribute the paint evenly. 
Let the excess drain out on the paper towel. Find a spot where it can dry upside down.  I balanced mine on a cookie sheet and placed papertowels underneath it. I let it sit for several hours.
I wanted to add glitter to just the top and wanted a clean line.  So I taped off the area I wanted. 
I painted a coating of glossy accents
Then I sprinkled with silver glitter. 
I peeled the tape off.
I wanted jingle bells in some vintage colors so decided I could spray paint them.
I had 3 stations going.  I sprayed them, turned them, and sprayed them again.  It took about 4-5 times to get the bells fully covered. 
I couldn't leave my jingle bells "naked" so I thought they could use a bit of glitter.  
I placed a few drops of glossy accents on the bell and spread it around with my fingers.  
I dropped it in a bowl of clear coarse glitter by Martha Stewart.
I set them to the side to dry and got to work on the rest of the ornament. I tied a sheer white bow around the top.
I got my hot glue gun out and added sprigs of clear beads.
I die cut a snowflake from cream felt and hot glued it to the center of my beads. 
I wanted to continue the silver theme a bit so I grabbed some silver ribbon I had in my stash.  I think it was from Michaels.
I cut the ribbon into thin strips.  (Love the glue left on my hand!) ;)
Give it a pinch in the center...
Thread your jingle bells with white string and tie in the center of the silver bow.
Hot glue it to the snowflake.
As a last step I added a vintage posy to my bells.
And one last parting shot of the finished product.
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial! 
I am off to a weekend of celebrating my birthday.  
Dinner last night, dinner tonight, and dinner tomorrow....
yep I am spoiled. ;)


22 comments:

Grace Baxter said...

I love your beautifully decorated ornaments. SO pretty! And I appreciate your easy-to-follow pictorial. Thank you!

Daniela Dobson said...

It's beautiful!!' Wow!!

KimCreate said...

Super gorgeous/!!!!!! You are a layering godess
:-)

Studio Hello! said...

It's so simple and so beautiful! Thank you for sharing this ;)

Regina Easter said...

good grief girlfriend...you could sell these

Glennis F said...

So pretty!
Best wishes for your birthday

StampingbugKerry said...

So pretty! I love them, and I know Court's teachers will treasure them always!

Shantaie said...

seriously? these are stunning shimmery orbs of Holiday perfection!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I'm gobsmacked! These are just so beautiful, and I loved seeing how you made them. Gorgeous doesn't begin to describe these....

Brenda Lee said...

Stunning!! The ornaments are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing the tutorial and taking the time to take pictures of the various steps. I truly appreciate your easy to follow photos.

Angelica Schmidt said...

Beautiful ornament! Thanks for the tutorial! Happy birthday! Have a Blessed day!

Marie Bingaman said...

Beautiful! WOW! :)

cdm317 said...

Stunning! Simply stunning!

Karen said...

These ornaments are so stunning and so easy to make thanks to your step by step tut. Thank you so much. Your non-traditional colors are so refreshing. I will definitely try this

Liz S. said...

Love these ornaments and I am going to try to semi duplicate them to donate to a candyland bazaar. Do you happen to know if you can use flocking instead of glitter with the same type glue you used? Thanks for some beautiful ideas. I've been following your blog for years.

Manon @ Kasimodo said...

So beautiful!
Thanks for the turorial!

scrappychica said...

your ornament is so beautiful, no seriously, it is a "wow" ornament! The colors are dreamy, and the details make me swoon in the holiday spirit even though its only October! The glittered bells just completed the ornament. I can't wait to try this!

Darlene Gabriel said...

Wow, these ornaments are absolutely stunning! I love all the glitter you've added. Thank you so much for sharing the "how to".
Darbaby on SCS

Julie Gleeson said...

So So beautiful! Thank you for sharing these! xox

Laurie (wife of James Keith Flaherty) said...

Wow!! Totally awesome. Your tutorial is great, too.










Tawny Leste-Carlson said...

I am swooning! Absolutely beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

Hello thanks this is perfect to win extra money thanks si much for teach us❤️🌹