Monday, December 16, 2013

Bath and Body Wallflower to a Holiday Ornament Tutorial!

I hope you all had a great weekend!  I had a busy one  to start and then came down with a touch of the flu.  Nothing too major but some icky stomach thing and feeling extremely tired.  I am feeling better today, and am so glad, because my "to-do" list is a mile long!
I have a tutorial today on something I created because my brain works in strange and mysterious ways. ;)  One day I was changing out the bulb from a Bath And Body room diffuser and thought to myself, "Hey! This looks  a lot like a Christmas bulb!"  One thing led to another and I decided to create ornaments out of them!  This is recycling at its finest! ;)
I did my ornaments in several ways.  Here is my first one....all pretty in frosty white and blue.
A bit of ribbon, felt snowflakes, glitter, and coordinating jingle bells. 
My second one is a soft pastel pink.  I added some acrylic gems, twine, and of course loads of glitter!
This silver ornament uses German glass glitter, a silver Prima poinsettia, pink pom pom trim, and a few leaves. 
This last one used Modge Podge and music paper and then rolled in glitter.  I added a red Prima Poinsettia and leaves. 
So here is what you start with.  Of course you may want to wait until all of the oil has diffused.  Why be wasteful? ;)
Once empty, take the cap and insert out.  Wash it thoroughly. 
For my first ornament (The blue one) I skipped the paint step.  But if you want a color, like the pastel pink ornament above then these are the steps you want to follow. 
Pour a few drops of paint inside and shake until completely covered.  Turn upside down and let the paint drip and dry. 
You will need Mod Podge, a foam brush, and glitter of your choice.  
Brush the outside of the bulb and then sprinkle with glitter.
I wasn't sure where to dry it, so I just plopped it right in the glitter container. (And yes, "plopped" is an official crafty term!) ;)
Once dry, I added an ornament topper that fit the top and added a few drops to secure it.  
Add your pretty decorations and a ribbon to hang it.
Here's one more peek.....

I hope I've inspired you to save those lil' Wallflower buggers!  ;)
Have a great day!

16 comments:

Toni said...

These are great!

Marcy said...

These are just lovely, Michele!

TLady said...

WHAT A FABULOUS IDEA!!! :) AND they're SOOO PRETTY TOO!!!!!:)

Dorlene Durham said...

AMAZING!

Regina said...

I love to recycle! Yours are just beautiful.

mkrosati said...

Oh Michele,these are so beautiful! I am inspired to save all my "bulbs"! Your family picture from a previous post is the best - what a great looking family you have! Have a wonderful Christmas holiday!

Bonjourscrap said...

I love them ! It's a wonderful idea. I wish I hadn't put them in the trash ! TFS.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I love the strange and mysterious way your mind works! Absolutely darling!

ScrappyHorses said...

Wow, these are beautiful! I love, love, love the blue one! What a wonderfully creative brain you have! Thanks for sharing your idea!

vdoyle8 said...

wow! How creative! I never would have thought to use something like that for an ornament. And who knew you could buy ornament toppers? Do you just get those at the craft store? You did a beautiful job on those ornaments.
Have a Merry Christmas with your beautiful family.

Monika/Buzsy said...

These are beautiful Michele. Love the sparkly finish... what a clever idea reusing these. Thanks for the tutorial.

reeree62 said...

So AWESOME, Michele!!!! Just love these!

Karen Letchworth said...

I will definitely be saving them this year and making some of these for next Christmas. Thanks for another fabulous idea.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Brenda said...

I have been looking for a way to recycle those. Thank you! Now I am on a mission to find the ornament hangers.

David and Sherry said...

I have always saved the caps off of these. After seeing your idea, I knew why. I took the caps and drilled a hole in the top end of them. I will use a pretty string or wire with a bead on it to hang it by.

Unknown said...

Love this idea, where do you get your toppers from?