Tuesday, November 29, 2011

An Unusual Way to color Felt!

First I want to thank you for voting for me over at the Blog Guide Book's Top Blog Contest! It is a tight race and I am among some very talented ladies! If you haven't had a chance to vote, I would be so grateful if you took a minute to vote for my blog! Just click HERE! : )


Every now and then I have a moment of genius. (It doesn't happen often, so when it does I get pretty darn excited!) ; ) I wanted to make an ornament using this Spellbinder's mitten die and some felt I had. I cut two pieces of cream colored felt and used red floss and a blanket stitch all around the edges. After it was done I thought it looked too flat. (I wish I had taken a picture of it before!) I needed a way to age it......so what better than to rub the whole darn thing in used coffee grounds! AND, it gives it a nice smell to boot! ; ) Who knew there were so many things to do with coffee?
Once it was all dry, I just shook off the excess and continued to embellish the top of my mitten using Spellbinder's snowflake dies, twine, jingle bells, and a sprig of berries. I added a bit of mica flakes at the bottom with a bit glossy accents.

See those jingle bells? Watch for a tutorial on how to create your own colored, sugary jingle bells of your own!
Thank you for stopping by! I always appreciate your visits and sweet comments! : )

19 comments:

Carolyn/MamaC said...

Thank you for the tip for coloring felt! Love the results!
Wow! The contest is close! You have vote from me!
Carolyn
http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

Margie Higuchi said...

What are you talking about?! You are always full of brillant and genius ideas! This is no exception...well, I should've read it BEFORE I threw my grounds away! LOL!! Will have to try this next time :)

Good luck with the blog contest!! I voted on my iPad and PC...need to dig up the laptop...heehee!!

Have a great Wednesday!!! xo

Houses Built of Cards said...

Oh my...but that IS genious! What a great idea!!! I myself can't stand coffee - but it's a good thing my husband loves it! I might be raiding his old grounds in the future! :0)

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Beate said...

Michele, your mitten ornament looks AMAZING! Great idea to use coffee grounds to age it.
Hugs and smiles

Lara said...

This is adorable! Absolutely stunning! lclass003 atgmail dotcom

Leslie Deering said...

omgoodness this is too cute you are so clever !

Dawnll said...

Let me say when I seen the coffee grounds I had doubts! lol
This turned out adorable as can be...now I will be saving my husbands grounds, among all my other saves

Sharon-The OKI StampQueen said...

ADORABLE!!! I can never find the right color felt for gingerbread men-and tried walnut stain-so did not work! Love coffee so this will be my next attempt!
Voted for you! Hope you win! Blessings,Sharon

Shantaie said...

*drool* Holy fantabulous that is pretty!!! you get TWO smarty pants points for that idea!!! :)

Marlou McAlees said...

this is fab Michele!!! and i voted for you ;) keep up the great work hugzz xxx

Karen Letchworth said...

Michele: Well, you've done it again...made a project I need to recreate! I have all the needed supplies, so I'm going to jump right in and make a few of these for my boutique this weekend. Thanks for another great idea.
Karen

Maria said...

This is beautiful!!! Love it!!

Alessandra Loiacono said...

Love it!!! What a great idea, I always saw people using tea, but coffee?!?!?! Genius!! :)
I can't wait for the tutorial on the jingle bells, they are adorable!!!!
I voted for you and I hope you win, you so deserve it!!
And thank you for always sharing your beautiful creations with us!

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

Love it! What a great idea for coloring felt! Thanks so much for sharing!
Huggies ~
Sharron♥

Melisa Waldorf said...

LOVE this and just pinned it on my board! Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Snider said...

Love it! What a great idea for coloring felt! Thanks so much for sharing! Huggies ~ Sharron♥

Yolanda Crisostomo said...

I Love this. It's very pretty but not so hard to craft. I Love the way you used mica chips at the tip of the mitten too :) Thanks so much for sharing~ Yolanda

4Him said...

So very adorable!!

LaVonne said...

Love the felt ornament. Mixed media is much fun!