Monday, September 2, 2013

Crafty Secret's Design Team Challenge and Linky Party!

GOOD MORNING!!! :) 
Today is Crafty Secret's Design Team Challenge and Linky Party!  I also have a step by step tutorial on how I created my decorated burlap bag!
I am starting to gear up for fall and my favorite holiday, Halloween. I chose this journal owl image from the Crafty Secret's Halloween Digital set. 
I didn't have any photo transfer paper so I decided to experiment and see if there was a way for me to print directly on muslin.  And the answer to that is, yes!
So here is my Halloween burlap bag all ready to be filled with treats!
I selected my digital image, sized it and first printed it on copy paper.  This told me where I needed to place my piece of muslin. I first adhered the muslin to a heavy duty piece of card stock and then taped both down to the copy paper really well, so it didn't get stuck in the printer.  Once printed, I took my scalloped fabric scissors to cut around the edge. 
I peeled it off the card stock and pulled out my needle and thread.
I wanted my edges to be a bit frayed, so I pulled the threads around the perimeter. 
I glued a bit of lace to the muslin using fabric glue. I wanted to add a flower to my bag, so I decided to dye a swatch of the muslin using purple Glimmer Mist and Walnut Ink.
I wet the fabric first and then sprayed away!  I spread it out on a paper plate and gave it one more spritz of the walnut ink to age it a bit.  If you are in a hurry for it to dry, take a blow dryer or heat gun to speed up the process. 
I used these Papertrey Ink flower dies and my dyed muslin to create my flower.
I tied my seam binding with black string. 
I layered all the pieces onto my burlap bag. I did add some black pom pom trim ,several green felt leaves,  and a button to the center of my flower.  
And here once again is my finished treat bag. :)
Be sure to stop by the other designers for their gorgeous projects and step by step tutorials!


15 comments:

Darlene said...

WOW!!! You go girl! What an awesome project and I would have never thought this could be done! Thanks so much for taking the to time to 'test drive' this idea and then sharing it with all of us! What a cute treat bag it turned out to be!! FABULOUS!!!

Life and Knits said...

OMG Michele, this is so cute. So vintage, so lovely! Really amazing. Love this treat bag!

Susie

Melissa said...

This is so cool- Thanks for showing us the process.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

This is just stinkin' cute! And aren't you clever to figure out how to print on muslin! Love that darling owl image and the great rustic look the muslin gives. Fabulous!

A Country Twinkle said...

Awesome bag.

Shan said...

I had often wondered if you could print straight onto fabric as well but had never tried it. Now I really will have to give it a try. Love your burlap bag and that owl! Thank you for the wonderful inspiration and I hope you have a beautifully blessed week.
Hugs,
Shan

Elizabeth said...

I've got to get braver with my printer. I have never tried fabric in it. You project is so fabulous and the printing is so defined I am going to give this a try this week.

The Paper Toile said...

Cute, cute, cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

The Paper Toile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nannyj said...

I love this idea for the burlap. So pretty.
Judy

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Inspiring image transfer tutorial Michele, I love the way you made your flower, embellished your treat bag and of course I adore that owl!

Sandy

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Inspiring image transfer tutorial Michele, I love the way you made your flower, embellished your treat bag and of course I adore that owl!

Sandy

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Absolutely Darling! I can't get over how cute your little owl bag is!!!! This would be cute all season long. Thanks for the Tutorial. I am going to have to quit being a chicken, and print on some muslin, for sure!

Kim said...

Adorable, creative, and sweet! I love that owl image too!

Melissa Bove said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning Michele!

hugs...