Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Water Color Tutorial

I really should just keep my camera in my craft room.  I often leave it downstairs while crafting, and I am too lazy to get up and get it.  So that is why I rarely have tutorials.
  Laziness. 
But I am going to try and change that this year and either keep the camera upstairs, or just stop being such a slug! Yesterday I had a very similar card in a blue/green/yellow color scheme. Today I was going for red, oranges, and pinks.  
peerless water color tutorial
I used a Dear Lizzy die cut and covered it with glossy black enamel.  The flower was cut using the Rose Creations Spellbinder's die.  The leaves are part of JustRite's Fall Applique stamp set. I added some string, pearls, and epoxy dots. 
peerless water color tutorial
Now let me preface this tutorial by saying that not only am I lazy, but I am often called the "Tornado Scrapper" or a "Bull in a China Shop."  I am often disorganized, sloppy, and often it is a miracle that I can produce anything that is remotely pretty. So if you are looking for pristine and professional, you have come to the wrong place!   For instance, I couldn't find my painter's tape so I pulled out my masking paper and ripped enough to cover 4 sides of a piece of watercolor paper. 
Do you see how neat I am?
You can use any watercolors, but I just bought Peerless watercolors and I am totally in love with them.  They remind me a bit of the paint by number books with the little paper paint palettes at the bottom of the page. The colors are so pretty and vibrant!
(Notice I cropped most of my desk out.  Organizational nightmare!)
Just dip your brush in a bit of water and pick up the color from the paper. 
When you are painting you can be pretty haphazard about it since the Masking paper is covering the area you want to remain white.
I used red, orange, and yellow here.  
While the paint was still a bit wet, I pulled off the making paper.  You are left with a really cool clean white edge. 
Here is the one I had created for yesterday's card. You can click HERE if you would like to see that card using this same technique.
Here is another look at my card.  You would never know that its creator is a total train wreck in the craft room.  ;)
peerless water color tutorial
I hope you would be so kind as to leave a comment.  This gal needs lots of encouragement! LOL!


6 comments:

Marci Morgan said...

Michele, I LOVE your art! I, too, am a total wreck when I craft. It always looks like I should have whipped up some grande masterpiece by the crazy mess I make and when my daughter comes in and says "Show me what you made", I hold up a card. One. And usually half of what is spread out all over the place wasn't even part of its creation! But that's part of the fun, right?! Thanks for all the time you put into sharing your world with us all. I always look forward to your posts! Have a wonderful rest of your week! Marci Collins, Peotone, IL

Kim A. said...

I love your card, just beautiful!

Teresa Doyle said...

Whatever way your craft room may look, the outcome is amazing! Great job!

Becky said...

You are so funny Michele! :) And you created a fabulous card.

Jan's Paper Flowers said...

Wow, this is gorgeous and so is the one you made yesterday!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

YOu had me laughing out loud on this one, Michele! I don't care that your crafting space is a train wreck...your work is amazing. This was a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing, and I am going to give this a try!