Sunday, July 5, 2009

Crafty Secret's Tutorial

The DT gals at Crafty Secrets have so much to share with you today! We are each presenting a tutorial today! Mine is going to show you how to use texture paste in some fun and innovative ways. It is a rather long post.....so grab you beverage of choice and enjoy!



Texture paste is found at most hobby stores and is pretty inexpensive. They come in a variety of colors, but for today's tutorial, I am using white. I am going to show you how to make "frosting" for all of those cake stamps you own, as well as make some fun seashell embellishments. This is all you need.......texture paste, sand, seed beads.


I stamped this cupcake from the Sweet Stuff set by Crafty Secrets and colored it with my Copics.

Then I.......

Here is my finished cupcake jar!


Doesn't it look like real frosting?

For this card (Which was posted a couple of weeks ago, so I apologize for the re-run!) I spread texture paste around the entire perimeter of the card. I used my finger to spread it, and then sprinkled those seed beads again.......

The card image was from the Girlfriend's Creative Scraps!
Now, on to those seashell embellishments! : )






Just punch a hole in the top with a hole punch and thread some jute or twine and attach it to your card!


The main image is from the Crafty Secret's Seaside set. Both cards were colored in with Copics. The card on the right had some paper piecing for her dress and hat.
I had to create a starfish too!



I even texture pasted my brads and covered those with sand too!

I hope I've inspired you to try this fun medium!

Check out the other gals to see the fabulous tutorials they've come up with!!!
Vicki Chrisman Team Leader

Have a fabulous Monday!! : )















28 comments:

Tracy.H said...

Very cool! I might have to give that a try! :0)

Pam said...

WOW....how cool is that....guess one of my stops today will be at the hobby store...LOL. Thanks for sharing. Very much appreciated.

sophiesmama said...

Great tutorial! Got to try this soon. Love your seaside card!
Hugs,
Mary

Vicki Chrisman said...

Great tutorial M!! I have used texture paste alot in the past..but now I'm ready to pull it out again.. with these new ideas!
Especially witht he sand! Love that idea!

Yvette said...

Awesome awesome awesome!!! Very clever!!! Love the seashell and starfish!!!

Rose Ann said...

What a great way to add texture!! I am loving your amazing designs, Michele!! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!!

Gabriela said...

A+ on the tutorial. Love your projects especially the seaside themes.

Julie Campbell said...

Are you kidding me???? That is SOOO cool! I didn't even know that paint existed--I'm heading out to Michaels as soon as I get out of my jammies! (Yep--lazy summertime mom!) I love everything you did--right up my alley with the dimension & texture--love the shells & frosting! Thanks for always being so inspiring with your work!

Anonymous said...

Great and I'm glad I know what the paste looks like now! Love the seaside cards with the cut out of the beach at the top! What did you use for that?

Velta said...

What a great tutorial...Gotta get some of that texture paste and the sand. The seashells really made these cards "pop!"

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

Ooooh, YUM! The sanded shells are my favorite! Seriously ... just perfect!!

CreativeMish said...

I've used this on my tolepainting for Santa's beard, snow etc... Never thought about on paper crafts! What a fabulous idea! I love it!

Pam said...

LOVE your projects Michele, that stuff is so cool!

SmilynStef said...

How fun ... I'll have to check this out ... fabulous tutorial and samples.

Sue from Oregon said...

how cool is this!

Marisa said...

Great tutorial Michele.Never tried using texture paste. I have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

I have never used texture paste before.. I'm planning a trip to the craft store, and this is on my list.. Love all of your projects, and the paste was the perfect touch.

Aimee said...

The cupcake looks yummy enough to eat! And the seashell and starfish look so real, very cool!

Jessica said...

These are gorgeous samples. I love your sand dollar and starfish!

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

Michelle, a very cool technique...love the sand effect. YOur seaside card is gorgeous!

Jocelyn said...

I have some of this texture paint sitting in a desk drawer and now you have inspired me to break it out and use some!!!! Thanks for the tutorial.....you are so talented!!! Have a great day!!! :)

starqueen said...

Hi Michele,
What a great tutorial. Of course, "frosting" makes everything sweeter! And the sand is so cool! I wonder what else can be added to texture paste...coffee grounds, cinnamon, glitter???
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Very cool Michele!! Great tutorial!! I think you just helped me out on a project! :)

Susan said...

LOVE IT! Thanks so much for showing us this. This item is going on the Hobby Lobby list for the week. Is it really strong enough to hold the beads in for good? Wow!

heidi said...

Holy canoli that seashell and starfish are cool. I'm going to have to give this a try. I've used texture paste to give a background some dimension but you've given me so many more ideas. Thanks!

Jana Eubank said...

You are BRILLIANT!!! Just BRILLIANT!!!

Libby Hickson said...

I love that yummy cupcake, so cute. But I especially adore the starfish! What fun!!

Dina Kowal Creative said...

Wow! That is some cool stuff. I'll have to put it on my list... lots of possibilities.