Friday, May 24, 2013

Altered Box and Satin Flower Tutorial!

Good morning, happy Friday, and upcoming 3 day weekend to you! I am trying to get a few gifts made for Cortney's teachers at school.  The end of the school year is quickly approaching!  I found a couple of paper mache' boxes at Hobby Lobby and thought they would be perfect to place a few small items from Bath & Body.  
As you know I am head over heels for these satin flowers. (Since I've practically beaten you over the head with them!) I just can't get enough of them! I have a tutorial a little further down on how I created them. 
I painted the paper mache' box in a pale pink and covered the perimeter of the lid with white lace.  
I added a thin coating of glossy accents to the top and sprinkled glitter over it.  
Once dry, I was able to decorate the lid with a large satin flower, a felt flower, and a few silk flowers I had in my stash. 
I love the variety of flowers and textures on this box.  :)
I want to share with you how I created these flowers that are reminiscent of a peony.  I found this fabulous variety of satin at Hobby Lobby.  I bought a 1/2 yard of each color for about a $1.50 each.  I love the rainbow of colors and decided on a light and dark of each color. 
I hand cut 5 circles in varying sizes. I used the darker color for the 2 smallest or inside layers where the flower would normally be darker. 
You will need a small tea light candle to melt the edges.  I did this in my kitchen near the sink just to be safe! 
As soon as you bring the circle close to the flame, the edges will melt and curl up.  It's pretty cool to watch!
Here are my 5 circles all melted and curled. 
You will cut 4-6 slits all the way around the circle. This gives the flower a peony appearance.  
You want to seal the inside edges by again holding them over the flame.  You just want to hold it there for a second or two until the edges just begin to curl and melt. 
Here is what they look like after the 4-6 slits have been cut and melted. 
Stack your flower.
I also created leaves for my flower by hand cutting a leaf shape and melting and curling the edges.  I took needle and thread to sew the whole thing in the center.  
(Here are a few of my leaves!) :)

I've been experimenting with what to put in the middle of the flowers.  I found these cute silk flower buds at Hobby Lobby and have used these for the centers.  For my box above I used a little Forget Me Not from the Pink Swan Etsy Shop
I have more projects to share with you using these flowers, that I will share next week. :)

If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment here.  
I hope you all have a wonderful, restful 3 day weekend!

I am looking forward to spending some time with my family! 

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Victorian Lady in Orange

I have many obsessions......glitter, lace, name a few.  So my new obsession is related to's these satin beauties.  It is certainly not a new idea, but it is fairly new to me.  I can't remember where I saw it on the Internet, but that is what sparked this new found love of mine. 
I've had several e-mails asking how I made these.  So I recently took step by step photos of my process. Again, not my idea originally, but certainly happy to share how I did it! I will post pics in a day or two.  :)
Here is the same Victorian lady that I posted on Monday with a different color scheme.  
Of course after I was done with her, I was afraid it looked too "Halloweenie!"  
If there is such a word! HA!
I have been experimenting with different centers to the flowers.  These were a few buds from a silk flower bunch I picked up at Hobby Lobby.  I plucked 3 off and glued them to the center of the flower. 
The leaves are made with the same technique as the flowers and I will share how easy it is soon!

The finish line to summer vacation is approaching!
I am trying to soak in the last few weeks of school, with all of it's final activities. 
It is a busy crazy time, but one I love each and every year I teach. 
I am lucky.
I am blessed to have been given the life I have.
Have a sweet day my friends!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Victorian Lady...

Good morning all!  I've had the craziest busiest last few days!Friday night was my school's talent show.  I spent part of Saturday editing photos and putting together a video.  The rest of the day I gardened and nearly put myself in traction. ;)
Sunday I had a  photography shoot for two little cutie pies.  The pictures came out so great, I couldn't wait to edit them! So needless to say there has been little time to craft, and now I am scrambling a bit to catch up!

Last week I was puttering around (when I thought I had alllllll this extra time....) and found this Victorian lady cut at the Silhouette Store.  I created another satin flower for her hat.  I added some silk blossoms to the middle and even created satin leaves. 
I added a couple of coordinating feathers, a bit of silk ribbon, and a few pearls.  The background and card base were cut using Spellbinder's dies.  
With school winding down, my days are filled.....stuffed to the gills with things to do.  I am certainly not complaining......I like a full busy life.  I wouldn't be a good bored person! Ha!  
So I am going to try to enjoy the things that are coming my way over the next few weeks.  But I have to admit I am looking forward to a slightly slower pace this summer, with a few extra hours of craft time. :)
Have a great day my friends!